Saturday, February 20, 2010

County Fair Weigh In

I have got to learn to carry my camera wherever I go!  Everyones blog is so filled with beautiful pictures; and my blog is usually picture free because I never seem to remember to grab it or it isn't ready.

Today was county fair weigh in's for the beef project.  My daughter has a beautiful black steer that she named the Great Melinko.  He is a Maine Anjou crossbred and weighed 940 pounds.  For us that means he is right on track and should weigh between 1400 and 1500 pounds for the show.

We usually raise a show steer with a freezer steer so they have each other as company.  This year due to our economic situation we decided to raise this years' show steer with the heifer that was shown last year.  The heifer was bred after fair and is due on June 24th.  We are very excited as we have always had steers...this means we will be having our first beef baby!  Is anyone else getting ready for the upcoming show season?

Last year's show steer on left; last year's show heifer on right.




11 comments:

Maery Rose said...

I don't do any showing or have kids that do any showing. Too much pressure. I'm a slacker now.

IanH said...

I,m glad that you have your posting/comments problems fixed. We are contemplating our first ever steer-for-beef acquisition this spring. Not sure how it will turn out, but still exploring the idea.

LeAnna said...

What a pretty heifer! I'm hoping this will be an avenue we can pursue when the kiddos get older!

PaintCrazy said...

Does "freezer steer" mean he's doomed for the butcher's knife? LOL! Ah the brutal realities of farm life this city girl knows nothing about... :)

This is really PaintCrazy (Michelle) - I don't know why it's showing me posting as Ace unless it's because I'm still signed in to the blog about Ace that I just created for a friend...oops.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great Sunday.

God bless you, Ron

Mama H said...

How exciting! When I was younger, I participated in 4-H but never any production classes. I showed my horse and my dog. I was always jealous of my friends who got to raise cows and pigs. I think my mom couldn't handle the thought of raising an animal that would eventually be sold!

SunnySD said...

Oh, fun! As kids I got roped into helping show friends' Limousin's at the county fair - lots of Aquanet and a tease comb for those big puffy tails, as I recall. I had a blast, but nothing like the work of getting one ready for show season from the ground up. Very cool!

Jennifer said...

OMG Bryanna is So cute with the Koda. LOL that's right the best baby sitter beside the TV.

Im a city girl but i did go to CobleSkill college in upstate NY. and the town was a "Cow Town" Which means more cows than people.

Even though I never saw a Cow up close before. I did while i was There.(Cute but a shocker)LOL. they didn't attack or anything. Very Peaceful place... and COWS SOOOOOO ROCK !

Pony Girl said...

It takes a while to build the habit of carrying a camera. My big NIKON is a bit of pain to haul around. My point and shoot fit nicely in the fanny pack I always wear around my horse (also contains cell phone, gloves, Kleenex, knife, chapstick.....), so that was handy and I took a lot of pictures!

TnTConnect said...

Thanks everone for the comments! Awesome idea Pony Girl!!!! I will try that as I have a fanny pack.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

My kids have never showed cattle...they always wanted to but we just never seemed to have enough time. I showed beef when I was in 4-H (years ago) and loved doing it. Last year Courtney did get to show our dog which was very intereting. You have some nice looking animals there!