Sunday, October 2, 2011

Trainer or no trainer?



In the last year I have gone from 6 horses to 2.  The last two horses I have are 3 years old; with all my other responsibilities, they are not broke out.  In the past I have started a couple of young ones, both of them I worked with from the time they were born.  This time, however, even though these two were born here, I have not really worked with them.  They are terrible for the farrier and don't have the best manners.  Mind you, they aren't horrible to be around when you lead them with a halter or if you are working in the pasture.  The dilema is this:

1.  Can't seem to find enough time to get out daily and work them.
2.  When I do work them, I am not sure that I am doing it right.  I just don't want to train them with a cue and have them be re-trained because I did it wrong (different).
3.  I need them to be "kid" safe as my daughter wants to show next year.  I don't expect that she will be showing either of these two, however, I am trying to keep in  mind that it may be possible that one of them (or both of them) will end up in the show ring.
4.  Brings me back to #1; I know I HAVE to find time to work them daily.
5.  Can't afford a trainer right now...maybe late winter?  Please note the word maybe...  :)
6.  If I do find the money for a trainer...how to choose one?  I have had a couple of trainers and most of them were not the best experience for my horses (or me).  There is a good trainer locally that I used once before, but she is very busy and now she works mostly with Andalusions/Crosses.





I have access to RFD TV where I have been watching a lot of different trainers...I find that I really like Ken McNabb and Clinton Anderson.  I try to pick up different tips and tricks from them, but not easy to do from a short show.  Clinton seems to have a great way of teaching, but I can't  seem to find the money now...his DVD's are very expensive.

What techniques or trainers do you use and reccommend?  I know that your trainers are probably nowhere near me, but how do you choose a good trainer?  It seems every time I ask other people around here, no one has anything nice to say about anyone else.  If you do your own training, did you have a mentor (how did you find one) or are you self taught and where is the best source for information?

11 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

a lot to think about. I would talk to a few local trainers, see what they do, and watch them work with the current horses. I would not write off that Andalusian trainer as basic training should siimply be that basic . Not a fan of the "canned " video trainers though some are very accomplished and do great work, I just find "how to videos " don't take into account certain subtleties . Sorry ,I am probably no help at all

small farm girl said...

I like Clint's tv show. I would use it for basics. But, I think I would ask the Andalusian trainer about training. Maybe they can recomend someone. As you really know, consistancy is the key.

TnTConnect said...

"Fern" I appreciate the opinion...you are a help!

Good thoughts "small farm girl". I will check the local girl to see if she can recommend someone. Consistancy is key; I agree.

My problem with watching trainers is they don't always show their true colors while you are there.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

If you trust your farrier, I'd ask him/her. He should know several good trainers and be able to point you in the right direction.

I have a project horse I don't have time to work anymore either. It's hard to balance everything.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh hey, I don't see a Google Friend Connect box on your site - I wanted to follow you back. I don't do Networked blogs so I'm going to put you on my RSS feed instead so we can keep in touch!

TnTConnect said...

Lisa, thanks for stopping by. I am searching for a new farrier now. Hard to do with untrained, not well-behaved horses. Current farrier does some training of his own (not my style).

Thanks for wanting to keep in touch!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Dilemmas!
I'm not any any help, but as someone who has several instructors to help me with my riding, I know how tough it can be to decide who is your 'style'. I think they all have something to teach us.
But like others have said, when it comes to horse training, consistency is the most important.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I find the videos to be expensive too. I bought one and was disgusted with how the trainer rambled on for hours about philosophy, and only spent a few minutes on a horse, not explaining the subtleties of what he was doing. They always say, "Make your horse" do this. HOW? That's why we buy their products. We want to know how to make a horse do that.

I've also read a lot of books, but my memory leaves a lot to be desired. I put several months into the reading and instantly forget it. When worse comes to worse, I've hired trainers, but never get perfection. I always have to settle. I'd just advise you to do your best, and look for the best of the lot of trainers in the meantime. Horses are resilient. Don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake.

I suspect once you get out there and start working with the horses on a regular basis, the horses will tell you what you need to do.

jules said...

We used to have horses about ten years ago. My hubby's allergies drove us to get rid of them all. I miss them terribly.

We had many foals born here and we kept them all. My hubs trained most of them but when he didn't have the time we hired a super close friend and she trained her for us. We paid her but we definitely got the better end of the deal.

TnTConnect said...

Thanks Nuzz...I think that is sound advice. I definately need get out and work them. NO excuses. It is just so hard.

PaintCrazy said...

I've been meaning to comment for a while but like you - busy busy! Anyway, are they safe enough for the kids to start doing ground work? So long as they know the basics of what they want the horse to do, they should be able to get started with some supervision. Walking nicely on a lead rope with a good start, stop and back is huge! Then let them move on to more advanced showmanship type stuff. In the mean time, you can start breaking them out for riding as often as you can get out there. Put it on your calendar and schedule it. IT'S the ONLY WAY to do stuff like that. Make it a commitment. And if the kids are working them every day for even 20 minutes, it will help get them ready for your work and in thinking mode. I know plenty of people who have managed to train up some really nice show horses themselves with not a lot of experience. You can too!